February 10, 2011

My Lovely Friend Heather


I would love to introduce you all to my wonderful friend, Heather Baker! She is an amazingly talented photographer & visual artist who finds much of her inspiration in nature. Last year, Heather was fortunate enough to work with the Nature Conservancy at Nachusa Grasslands in Northern Illinois. There, she aided in prairie preservation and restoration. I was lucky enough to visit her this past fall! It's truly a marvelous place to be :) The photographs I've selected are scenes that Heather captured while living and working on the prairie.

Heather also makes beautiful collages/studies with material she gathers from the natural world. 

In Heather's words on her nature studies: "My process is very intuitive. I simply start by going through my plant collection and arranging different elements into different forms, often asking myself 'what kinds of functions is this part used for? What else can it be?' For me, these pieces arouse my imagination and my fascination with nature. They elicit that timeless feeling as I contemplate these archaic forms that have persistently been the building blocks of life on Earth"  

You can visit Heather's website for more amazing nature-inspired artwork. She also has an Etsy shop with prints and jewelry! Thank you for sharing your art with us, Heather 



3 comments:

  1. I love Heather Baker! I am lucky enough to own a fine piece of her work and can't wait until I can snatch up another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! I'm very happy to know such a great girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I'm kinda freaking out here! Not only to find out that you leave so nearby, but another amazing artist as well. AND I'm obsessed with Prairie and have always wanted to get involved with prairie preservation, ever since I was a girl and my grandmother was involved with it. The only thing that has held me back when I've seen local groups is that I'm super shy and afraid to go by myself. I'll have to check out Heather's website and blog and maybe it will give me the courage to check into a local club.

    ReplyDelete